Shrimp in shell - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life." Advanced Search Home Forums Cooking Resources Cookbooks Kitchen Safety Substitutions Terms & Techniques Cooking Accessories Appliances Cook's Tools Cookware Knives Nutrition/Special Diets Gluten Free Cooking Vegetarian Cooking Diabetic Cooking What's Cooking Today's Menu Menu Planning Cooking for Events Budget Meals Quick Dishes Garden/Preservation Culinary Gardener Canning Info Dehydrator Info General Forums All Forum Listings Community Forums Recipes General Cooking Info Introductions Community Support Off Topic  Join Now Meats Beef, Pork, Lamb... Beef Recipes Lamb Recipes Pork Recipes Wild Game Veal Recipes Other Meats Chicken & Turkey Fish & Seafood Veggies Vegetable Recipes Salads & Dressings Rice, Beans, Grains Farm to Table Desserts Brownies & Dessert Bars Cakes Candies Cobblers & Crisps Cookies Frozen Treats Pies & Pastries Beverages The Wine Cellar Alcoholic Drinks Non-Alcoholic Drinks Outdoor Cooking BBQ & Smokin' Meats Cooking on the Grill Campfire & Dutch Oven Gear for Outdoor Cooking More Foods Ethnic Foods Appetizers Pasta Bread & Sandwiches Soups & Casseroles Eggs, Cheese, Dairy Sauces & Marinades Fruits & Nuts Herbs & Spices   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking Shrimp in shell Click Here to Login Register Cooking LinksMember Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in Community Links Social Groups Pictures & Albums Members List Meet Our Staff Search Forums Show Threads   Show Posts Tag Search Advanced Search Power Users Search Photo Albums Go to Page... Page 1 of 2 1 2 >   Thread Tools Display Modes   02-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #1 mcc1961 Assistant Cook   Join Date: Oct 2010 Posts: 28 Shrimp in shell I read that shrimp are better tasting if cooked in their shells ,is there anything to this? Tweet __________________ __________________   02-04-2011, 05:34 AM   #2 pacanis Chef Extraordinaire     Join Date: Feb 2007 Location: NW PA Posts: 18,751 Along a similar line, I heard that the dish picked up more flavor if the shrimp were left in their shells when added and cooked. I prefer peeling them ahead though, so everything is ready to eat and less messy __________________ __________________ Give us this day our daily bacon.   02-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #3 cmarchibald Senior Cook     Join Date: Apr 2010 Location: Tarlac City, Philippines Posts: 309 In Thailand they eat the shells. I can't do it, but my husband does. __________________   02-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #4 Uncle Bob Chef Extraordinaire     Join Date: Nov 2006 Location: Small Town Mississippi Posts: 17,432 In general ....yes! ~~ I "boil" shrimp in shell and with heads on. Also "BBQ" shrimp in shell with heads on. (Which has nothing to do with BBQ.) ~~ Most recipes call for peeled shrimp ~~ A stock can be made using shells and heads that add flavor to a recipe...or can be frozen for later use. HTH __________________ There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head. Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink   02-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #5 BigAL Senior Cook     Join Date: Jan 2008 Location: W.KS Posts: 417 I've heard that there is alot of flavor in the heads, is it the pancrease or hepta pancre......or what ever it is. It's similar to crawfish and "suck'n the head", which IS very good. The shell adds flavor and also can protect the meat from over cook'n, like on a grill/smoker. Another idea is to peel the shrimp but throw the shells in w/the shrimp and just take out when the dish is ready. __________________   02-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #6 CraigC Master Chef     Join Date: Jan 2011 Posts: 5,298 I prefer them steamed in the shell. Some folks don't like the idea of eating the "vien" in peel & eat. Craig __________________   02-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #7 Andy M. Certified Pretend Chef     Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Massachusetts Posts: 42,327 While cooking in the shell may impart more flavor, there are circumstances where I don't want shrimp served to me in the shell or even with the tail piece attached. If I'm eating a pasta dish with shrimp, my fingers shouldn't have to get involved with the shrimp. There are more informal occasions when I don't mind eating with my fingers. Then it's OK. __________________ "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan   02-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #8 cmarchibald Senior Cook     Join Date: Apr 2010 Location: Tarlac City, Philippines Posts: 309 Quote: Originally Posted by Andy M. While cooking in the shell may impart more flavor, there are circumstances where I don't want shrimp served to me in the shell or even with the tail piece attached. If I'm eating a pasta dish with shrimp, my fingers shouldn't have to get involved with the shrimp. There are more informal occasions when I don't mind eating with my fingers. Then it's OK. True story: Years ago when I was living in Atlanta, I was dining at my favorite super-posh Italian restaurant (a place that looks like something right out of The Godfather). We were with a large group of my girlfriends celebrating someone's birthday, and our waiter Tony was having fun entertaining us.I ordered the shrimp scampi, and having good Southern ladylike table manners didn't want to fish around in my pasta with my fingers to remove the tails. So I struggled with my knife and fork to gingerly remove the tail, when my shrimp suddenly broke free, slipped through the buttery sauce and flew across the table. Tony was watching all of this, highly amused, then stepped in to assist me before I (in his words) "hurt someone". He then taught me a technique that I use to this day.Take the flat side of the dinner knife (the one without the teeth of course) and press it into the joint of the tailfin and the tail. Then stab the meat with your fork, pull gently and....voila. __________________   02-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #9 Andy M. Certified Pretend Chef     Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Massachusetts Posts: 42,327 Quote: Originally Posted by cmarchibald ...Take the flat side of the dinner knife (the one without the teeth of course) and press it into the joint of the tailfin and the tail. Then stab the meat with your fork, pull gently and....voila. Your experience demonstrates why the tails should have been removed. That there is an easier way to get the tails off doesn't make it OK in my mind. Your dinner guest shouldn't have to work to eat their meal. That work belongs in the kitchen. __________________ "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan   02-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 CraigC Master Chef     Join Date: Jan 2011 Posts: 5,298 Quote: Originally Posted by Andy M. Your experience demonstrates why the tails should have been removed. That there is an easier way to get the tails off doesn't make it OK in my mind. Your dinner guest shouldn't have to work to eat their meal. That work belongs in the kitchen. I guess we should never invite folks over for steamed crabs or a crawfish boil then? Pickin and peelin are all part of the fun. A couple cases of iced down Abita beer and Laissez les bon temps rouler! I agree that certain meals should not have your guest working. I was just funnin ya. Craig __________________ __________________   Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Tags shrimp « Hi! New here, with a question about curry | Yooooo hoooo frank » Thread Tools Show Printable Version Display Modes Linear Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode Switch to Threaded Mode Posting Rules You may not post new threads You may not post replies You may not post attachments You may not edit your posts BB code is On Smilies are On [IMG] code is On HTML code is OffTrackbacks are OffPingbacks are OffRefbacks are Off Forum Rules » Latest Forum Topics Wednesday, 7/19/2017, what's on your plate? Preferred wood used for wooden cooking utensils Kitchen "Candy"... Spam, cabbage & potatoes Tuesday 7/18/2017 What's on the menu? What is your weather like right now? Today's Funny Slow cooker creamy potatoes and Kielbasa » Discuss Cooking on Facebook » Recent Recipe Discussions Spam, cabbage & potatoes Slow cooker creamy potatoes and Kielbasa What's For Dessert? Fried Okra Rabbit Frozen pizza dough questions Frozen Meatballs Bulgogi Burger Wild mushrooms Easiest and best tasting sloppy joes McDonalds now selling their Big Mac... Chuck roast steak with mushroom... Assorted Automotive Marine RV & Travel Trailer   Techist   Cooking Forum   Kayaking & Rafting Forum   Aquarium Forum   BBQ Forum   Computer Forums   Early Retirement   Royal Forums   U2 Music Forum   Ski Forum   CityProfile Local Forum Our Communities Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership. » More about our Communities   Chevy Camaro Forum   Ford Mustang Forum   Land Rover Defender Forum   Hemi Truck Club   Subaru Crosstrek Forum   Jeep Forum   Ford Forums   Ford Explorer Forum Automotive Communities Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons. » More about our Automotive Communities   iRV2 RV Forum   Airstream Trailer Forum   Forest River Forums   Fiberglass RV Forums   Wander The West   Jayco RV Forum   Luxury Coach Forum   Escape Trailer Forum   Hilo Trailer Forum   5th Wheel Forums   RV Park Reviews   Truck Conversions   Redwood Owners   Crossroads Owners   Thor RV Forum   Dutchmen RV Forum   School Bus Conversions   Sunline Trailers Forum   Campground Reviews   Cruisers Sailing Forum   Rigid Inflatable Boats   Performance Boat Forum   Trawler Boating Forums   Maxum Owners Club   Sail Blogs   Sailing Wiki   Cruisers Log   Yacht Blogs Marine Communities Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today. » More about our Marine Communities Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM. -- Discuss Cooking v1.0-- Discuss Cooking v3.0-- Mobile Contact Us - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Archive - Community Rules - Terms of Service - Privacy - Top Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.